Tuesday, November 6, 2007

A Tale of a Not So Good Idea (sort-of)...

Graduation can be a daunting time for many graduates. It is a time when we enter the great wide open world and we think we know what to expect. We have been taught the ways of the world through our classes, our life experiences, and through our temporary jobs (serving, bartending, retail ... the list is endless). I, like many of you out there, was feeling rather confident about the coming future but I still thought it a good idea to read up on what other people are doing (one of my steps to better myself). A book I picked up while on vacation, entitled "Breaking into Graphic Design", by Micheal Jefferson, gave me a few ideas that I wanted to employ in hopes of landing that elusive first job.

A quick side note - If you are gearing up for graduation with a degree in Graphic Design. I would highly recommend this book. It has great interviews with professionals in our field that provides extremely useful insight to the wants and needs of those in charge of hiring. It also helps with preparing you for interviews in all manner of speaking. Barnes and Noble carries it and so does the Tattered Book Cover.

Ok, back to the story. So one of the ideas that I stole from this book was to create an introduction package. Not really a new concept but one that I had not thought about. I had also heard about such an idea from a returning graduate that came and spoke in my portfolio prep. class so I was pretty sure this was a worthy use of my time. I spent about a week dreaming up and designing this package that had multiple elements to it. I remember thinking to myself that this is going to kill everyone and I'm sure to get the job I want. Now you might be wondering to yourself, what exactly did I dream up to make myself and many others think that I should have no problem landing that perfect job? Well that’s a secret but I will tell you it involves a CD, a pair of socks, and UPS.

I sent my package out and waited for the responses to come flooding in. It turns out that they didn't. I sent out about twenty-five or so to places all over the country and got nothing back. I got a couple responses back saying that they loved the package but that they weren't hiring any entry-level positions right now. They would keep my resume on file and get back to me if they had a position that suited me. The little bit of wisdom that I am trying to impart to you is take every piece of advice with a grain of salt. Sometimes that advice will work but other times it will fail and fail miserably.

I still think that an introduction package is essential to getting a great job but what I think is even more important and much harder to come by is experience. So my advice to all you out there getting ready to grab that diploma and run. Take every design job you get no matter the pay or the hours. As you grow in experience so will you opportunities and your paycheck. Like I said, take all advice with a grain of salt!

No comments: