Sunday, December 9, 2007

Ho, Ho, Hoe?...

This may be a little late and I'm sure most of you have heard of this but for some unknown reason this story just popped into my head. It could be because the holiday season is closing in and that I have yet to do my Christmas shopping. Or it could be for another reason I will not mention. Anyway, I was watching the news a few days ago and the newscaster was talking about a state that has decided to make the phrase "Ho, Ho, Ho" indecent for Santa to say. It is now politically incorrect for Santa to recite his timeless phrase because someone thinks that the little kids sitting on his lap will pick this up and demoralize the nation. What??? I mean really! All of us have grown up with that phrase as an iconographic statement and I'm not so sure the nation is going to hell because of it.

Where this comes into play with graphic design, marketing, advertising, and communication in general is that if this trend continues to progress; we could be living in a society that censors all. We, the people, who not only communicate with those in our immediate presence but everyone who sees or hears our work must be extremely mindful and weary of what we are doing. Being P.C. is important but when is enough enough? We as people need to start asking ourselves this question. As people of the communication business, we need to pay particular attention to those making and answering these questions. The whole idea of being politically correct has taken control of our waking lives.

I guess this is just something to think about while you ride the elevator to your job in the morning. Happy Holidays!

No comments: