Monday, March 10, 2008

Who Are We (Part:12)...


I'm a few days late with my Who Are We post and I'm terribly sorry about being tardy. It's been a busy week with very little time to sit down and find a graphic designer that I think you should know about. You need not worry though because I have stumbled upon a designer during my reading that I think not too many people have heard of. Maybe you have heard of him but you don't think of him as a designer. This designer is different from the rest in a unique way. He was born in 1860, back before computers were even a distant thought. He is proof that our profession has been around for a while.

Alphonse Mucha was an artist in the purest sense. Lived the stereotypical life of an artist. He was drawing before he could walk. Born in the Czech Republic in a time where artist were creating masterpieces. This influx of art from the masters into mainstream society gave Mucha only one choice, he must move to Paris. He moved there in 1887 and from there his career took off (in a very loose sense). He had moments of success followed by periods of little work. During this time Mucha was called upon to create a poster for Sarah Bernhardt's play, Gismonda. His design was something completely new and sparked a little movement called "ART NOUVEAU." I'm sure you've heard of the movement but most people don't associate Mucha with graphic design but more with painting. Back then they were more one in the same rather than being separate. From here his fame spread and Mucha had finally made it. He paired up with a man by the name of Champenois and started doing postcards and other things.

He is a very good artist and designer. I'm not sure I can say that he started the graphic design profession but being able to say that you helped start a movement isn't a bad thing to have on your resume. If your looking for a designs to give you a traditional feel then I would have to recommend Alphonse Mucha.

A thing to keep in mind as your looking for inspiration among the design community. You can never know where you are going if you don't know where you've been. I hope you like my selection for this week's Who Are We post. Let me know your thoughts and if you have anyone I should look into, please don't hesitate to send me an email. I promise I'll look into them and you might see them up here on my blog.

No comments: