Monday, March 24, 2008

Who Are We (Part:14)...


It's that time of the week again. I've had a little time this weekend to look around for great designers and I think I've stumbled upon an amazing woman who has contributed a great deal to our profession. Debbie Millman is that woman and this week's addition to my weekly post Who Are We. She is a Managing Partner and President of the Design Division at Sterling Brands, one of the leading brand identity firms in the country. This probably means that she is no longer getting her hands dirty in Illustrator or Photoshop like so many of us designer pawns but she has put in the time and her involvement in the graphic design community speaks for it's self.

She has invested over 25 years in the design community and now heads up a brand identity firm with clients like AOL, Burger King, Citigroup, Miller, NBA, Sony, and Valvoline. This is all very impressive but I think the reason why I'm glad to be highlighting Debbie Millman is because of her blog. Yes Debbie blogs just like yours truly. To be honest with you, Debbie's blog is much better than mine. She is so well respected by designers around the globe that she is fortunate enough to be able to sit down with other designers and conduct an actual interview. These sessions are called Design Matters and she does this live every Friday from 3-4 pm (eastern). She has interviewed nearly everyone that I have highlighted. I only offer an overview of who these people are, and then you have to go out and research more yourself. Debbie gives you the opportunity to hear what these designer greats are thinking. She can ask the questions that everyone wants to know, dig deeper and further into the graphic design elite, and expose some of their tricks and secrets.

Some of her comments out side of the interviews are a great read as well. They are reflections on the design/marketing/advertising world and everything else. I haven't had a lot of time to really dive deep into her blog but from what I have seen, I'm extremely interested and impressed. Let me know what you think. I'm always looking for feedback on my choices for Who Are We. If you have any suggestions on who I should highlight next, I'd love to hear them. You never know, you could see them up here sometime soon.

No comments: