Thursday, October 16, 2008

Check these out...

Lately, many of my post have been about what I've experienced in the past year and a half of working. I know that these insights can be very helpful for many of you who are just now entering the design profession or thinking about pursuing a career in design. Most schools that I know of don't offer a course on the abstract working life and therefore I hope these post have been helpful. It is my hope that you can take from these post what you need to be better prepared for what is inevitably going to come to you. Still, what I've come to realize is that there is so much more out there to supplement what I've been saying since the inception of this blog. So today I'd like to take some time and mention a few of the other sources that have exposed me to valuable information. I'm not saying you have to read or watch any of the following to become successful but it is never a bad thing to be informed about what is out there. So with out further adieu, my list of external sources:

Helvetica (the movie) - Yes, I know what you are thinking. They made a movie/documentary about a font. Not just any font mind you, but possibly the most successful font ever. It is worth checking out to hear what some of the greats say about typesetting and font creation. It is interesting, informative, and unique which makes it a near absolute must (at least in my mind). I'll warn you. If you are feeling slightly sleeping, I would not pop this movie in the DVD player in hopes that it will keep you awake. This is not the action packed documentary like Super Size me but I'm still highly recommending it to all designers out there.

The Art of Looking Sideways - I've blogged about this book before but I really like this book and think every designer should read it at some point of their life (sooner rather than later). Written by Alan Fletcher, this book offers intellectual insight into the mind of a great designer. It covers his inner thought on life, design, art, communication, and so much more. He kept notes most of his life and this book is out come of that. Phaidon says this about it, "An irresistible visual and verbal feast for everyone who enjoys the creative interplay of word and image." Can you think of a better book for designers?

Breaking into Graphic Design - This book really helped me prepare for the interviews that most of you will experience in the coming months. Michael Jefferson is a designer just like you and I. He is young and had many hardships in getting a job. He kept notes on what he felt he did right or wrong and then went back and interviewed those that interviewed him. It is really interesting to hear what some of the top agencies are looking for and how they think you should interact with those who are going to be hiring you.

How Magazine - This magazine is a really useful tool for designers of all ages. There are columns that offer advice to those looking for jobs or are in need of direction for their small design shops. Along with all this, I've found that this publication can be a great place to look for creative inspiration. If you are a little hesitant about subscribing to How Magazine, don't worry. There is a website that offers nearly the same amount of help, advice, and info.

AIGA - I'm am almost sure that most of you out there are already more than aware of this organization. Still, believe it or not, there are some people out there who are unaware of this seemingly invaluable group and this is my chance to inform them. This international organization is the largest grouping of creative professionals. It is a great way to get involved with the design community and develop an excellent network of creative friends. Through AIGA, you have access to endless contacts, great design inspiration, and competitions that can boost you to international stardom (that might be a stretch but not entirely unlikely).

I know there are other pieces of literature and movies out there that I am sure are more than helpful. I thought it best however not to drown you in words all at once. What I am thinking is that every now and then I'll drop post like this that will point you in their direction. So keep a keen eye open for more post like this. I promise that the above and the more to come will help you in some manner. You will never know unless you check them out.

No comments: