Friday, October 3, 2008

The World of Freelance...

It wasn't too long ago that I graduated from college. I gave myself about 30 seconds to catch my breath and then I busted out of the cocoon of the college environment and crashed into the real working world. Literally, the next day, I had someone asking me if I was interested in competing for a freelance job. It was then that I realized no one had ever explained anything to me about freelancing. I was slightly overwhelmed. Instead of dragging my heals, I accepted the challenge and landed my first job.

It is hard for me to believe that my school is the only one who doesn't offer freelance 101. Although there were plenty of business courses to take, I took none. I thought my time would be better spent learning how to communicate and understand people. So, today I'm going to offer up a few suggestions that I have learned either the hard way or by observation and discussion.

1. Get Everything in Writing - There is nothing more powerful than something in writing that proves your point. You don't need it to be a physical piece of paper, emails and txt's work just fine too (just be sure to save them ... don't delete them. DUH!). This way if the unthinkable happens and your client refuses to pay, you have documents that will hold up in court.

2. NETWORK - I can't press this more. Knowing people and being visible is the only way you are going to achieve any kind of success. If you are freelancing right now, you probably already know this but some people think work is just going to fall on your laps. It won't. There are plenty of groups and organizations out there that are solely meant to facilitate freelancers. Find them and love them.

3. Rehearse - You will never know what a client is going to say but you can pretend to have the interview with them. It is better to walk in somewhat prepared then not at all. Have your rate prepared, a tentative timeline for completion, the file formats that you are going to provide, and questions about the project you need to have answered. If it helps, get a friend to act like your potential clients so that you can practice in front of people.

4. Look Professional - I know we are all designers and we like to march to our own drum but don't show up in jean with holes in the butt and bed head. Look like you care.

5. Use Good Interviewing Techniques - the simplest of things can sometimes make the biggest impact. Keeping eye contact, taking notes, moving your head slightly and keeping you posture somewhat erect are all good practices. People feel like you are really listening (you really should be listening too).

6. Keep Track of Expenses - It is amazing what you can write off in your taxes if you are a freelancer. Everything from pens to possibly even your car can all be business expenses. Be careful not to go overboard and expense everything you own. The government doesn't appreciate that too much and I'm almost positive it isn't legal.

7. Invoice - A lot of professionals would like invoices for their own records. Provide one just in case. It makes you look a little more professional.

8. Confidence - If you can project confidence and knowledge about the project, your client will be reassured he or she has made the right choice in you. Speak with a professional tone, use good interviewing techniques, and be relaxed are great ways to show this. Make sure that your client leaves trusting you will accomplish what they want. It makes the whole process go much more smoothly.

These are just a few of the things I've realized since entering the professional world. I know there are countless other lessons to be learned and when I experience them, I'll be sure to pass them on to you. If you have anything you think needs to be added, please let me know and I'll append my list. I'd like to get a really long list so your input would be greatly appreciated.

No comments: