Monday, February 11, 2008

B.E. Agressive

Recently, I have been put into a position where I was unsure if I would remain employed with my current company. No I didn't lose the company millions of dollars or for that matter do anything wrong. Simply my contract with them was coming to an end and I hadn't heard from them yet if it was going to be extended or not. It happens to a lot of people, especially those that are "self-employed" but I still faced the problem of an uncertain future.

I was unsure how to approach this problem so I called some of my older family members, a couple friends who have been in the business world for a while, and I talked with some co-workers who I think have my back. The reoccurring theme that I kept hearing from them was that I needed to be aggressive. I need to march in there and confront my boss. I took all their advice with a grain of salt. I think that after working at a place for a while, you pick up on how to approach your higher-ups. So use a little common sense when gearing up to having a sit down with your boss.

What I did was asked to speak with her for a minute. Told her that I really enjoyed working here and tried to focus on all the positives that I have been able to contribute to the company. Then I simply asked her if she could keep me up to date on the status of my contract. It was a simple request and one that I thought I deserved. She said that that would not be a problem.

I think what all my friends were getting at when they told me to be aggressive was that I should just be direct. People respond when you are upfront with them. Remember to be polite but there is nothing wrong with wanting to be informed.

No comments: