Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Who Are We (Part:7)...


This week's post has come a little late and as I mentioned in the post proceeding this one. I am truly sorry. As mentioned, this weeks post would be worth the wait for I am not bringing you someone from out of the unknown but rather a "Designer" who is possibly the most famous of all. Most in the artistic community would consider never looking at one of his pieces a sin. Who, you might ask, is the designer I have chosen to spotlight for my weekly Who Are We posts? None other than Andrew Warhol.

What can I say about Andy Worhal that you don't know already. His career began in the fifties when he moved to New York. "Whimsical" drawings of shoes are what got him noticed and eventually led him to the doorsteps of RCA Records. There he was hired as a free-lance artist to produce the record covers for the artist on the label. He might have been an excellent designer but his art is what put him down in the history books.

Not many people can put on their resume that they helped start an artistic movement. I would have to think that something like that would be a golden ticket for a job any where. You don't just start a movement if you're mediocre, you have to be good. Really good. Andy Warhol was an innovator that designers and artists alike still mimic his approach to design and art. From cans of tomato soup and shoes to iconic figures like Marylyn Monroe, this designer could do it all.

I think that it is appropriate to include Andy Warhol as a member of the design community for a few reasons. First, he started his career in graphic design/communication arts and then transformed into a pure fine artist. Secondly, I think that any designer is an artist. You do not have to use traditional mediums to be consider a "true" artist. Finally, Andy Warhol has done more for the design/marketing/advertising community than anyone else I can think of. If you can think of someone who tops Andy Warhol or someone you think I should highlight, just leave me a comment and I'll check them out.

No comments: